Sunday 24 July 2011

Face To Face With The Joker Part Three: Clubs!


So here we are on part three which will be the final blog on composition.

Using a coarse nail file and craft knife I took to making his cheeks thinner and slightly more prominent.

Stripped the original clay which formed the coat and used sheet plastic to form the shirt collar.

Using Terracotta a new jacket was formed as well as extending the Jokers chin and make the crows feet lines around his eyes and mouth deeper.



I chose to use terracotta for the coat as it needed to be a different clay with a heavier texture than what was used mainly for his hair and only added a few strands with the terracotta.



Using glass paper to thin down the sides of the face but leaving them slightly uneven along with the lapels on his coat.

Following the words of the great Tim Bruckner who keeps things uneven when it comes to sculpting the Joker... this is effective but I didn't want to go crazy, more 'you wouldn't notice unless it's pointed out'...

So now you know!.



It was this girls first time with a can of spray paint... SO much fun!!! but SO stinky!!!

I had used spray primer before but there is nothing quite so boring as priming.

I HATE it!! (but it's a necessity.)

His hair base coat was sprayed, as was the the base for the jacket, his face and details were hand painted.



I built up colour using a selection of four greens for his hair.


Skin tone was enhanced by using pastel dust on a dry brush.



His eyes were a combination of paints and finished with a clear gloss.



In his right eye I added a shadow of Batman's reflection which; unfortunately the camera has not picked up on very well.



His lips were two reds roughly mixed with black to give an uneven streaky appearance and again finished with a clear gloss.





I had started to use photo reference of the normally suave Conrad Veidt.
In his film The Man Who Laughs he looks like one of the most sinister things I have ever seen.
(Though I should point out that the story is incredibly touching.)

Just loved how dark his lips appeared, this was the look I wanted for Mr J.




A dry cloth with dabs of paint was used to build up texture on his coat and the details of the stitching added by hand. His buttons are real and his tie a silk shoe lace.





Slowly but surely I had completed my interpretation of possibly the greatest Batman villain of all time! The Joker... (but we ALL know it's the Penguin... Right?)



Tune in next week to the final Joker blog, Part Four: Hearts where I will be posting the full recipe and for a little fun some pictures of his further escapades!

No comments:

Post a Comment