Monday 20 May 2013

RIP Ray Manzarek



This evening, I learned of the passing of The Doors' keyboard player, Ray Manzarek.
He passed away this morning in Germany after suffering bile duct cancer.

I'm truly saddened by this news; when you read about the death of a public figure, you often feel that it's a shame, and you feel sad for their family, especially when they have left a legacy that means something to you. But the death of Ray feels like losing a personal friend. I feel sad for his family and those who he was close to - but I also feel sad for myself!!

I don't buy into the ''celeb grief mentality'' syndrome, but this time when I say I'm gutted, I am.

The Doors' music has been with me since I was eleven years old; losing myself in the heady melodies and rolling riffs has got me through some of the toughest times in my life.

Their music has grown up with me and has defined some of the key moments of my life, such as hitting puberty and noticing boys for the first time. (Jim)

My father died... and I found solace and comfort within their music, rather than trying to make sense of the concept of sudden death going around your head - and being told by a religious figure that my father was needed for greater things...

Yeah right; FUCK YOU!

but from that moment I realised that all I needed to get through in life was rock n' roll... and to a certain extent, that is still true:

Sneaking into the cinema for my first 18 certificate film, dancing my socks off in the aisles, along with my two best girlfriends, what a wonderful experience.

Teenage years of  getting high with friends; you could ride those organ notes...

Introductions to classic writers and philosophy.

Lusty nights of young romance.

Pilgrimages to European cities.

and then you get a little older and a tad more sophisticated, and you start to notice the sheer brilliance of the musicianship; Ray held it together by holding down that bass line - and keeping it rhythmically tight with John - while from his tactile right hand, the melodies flowed.

I can still lose myself in the music of The Doors  - and do so on a regular basis. I got to see Ray and Robbie play twice; once was a stadium gig, the other a much smaller venue, and each time they blew me away.

When I had just left school, Ray recorded the Myth and Reality double CD where he talked about his time at UCLA, the Blues, Leather Trousers, Beat Poetry and growing up with the Blues and Jazz.

Ray was for real.... he was the nineteen-sixties spirit that I longed to try to get a feel for, and nothing came closer  to that than listening to Ray Manzarek talk.
For myself and kids all over the world, he made it possible to get a feel for what things might have been like.

Whether The Doors are your thing or not, Ray undoubtedly was one of the best organists to define a generation.

Thank you for the good times Ray!

Though you are no longer on earth, your music and energy will flow through the millions who hold your music close every time it is being played.

Please consider leaving a donation in Ray's name by donating to: www.standup2cancer.org

R.I.P 1939-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment